Thursday 9 June 2011

Anno Frankenstein reviewed at Graeme's Fantasy Book Review

Graeme Flory of Graeme's Fantasy Book Review is a loyal follower, and reviewer, of the Pax Britannia series and has given some very generous marks out of ten to several of my books in the past. And now he's got round to reading my most recent endeavour, Anno Frankenstein.

Here are just a few of Graeme's eminently quotable lines from his review.

I’ve been having a lot of fun with these books ever since the blog began and I don’t see that fun stopping any time soon; I can’t get enough of this series and if you’re a fan of steampunk adventure then I reckon you’ll be the same...

As much as I love to take a chance on new reads, I also love the knowledge that I can pick up certain authors and be guaranteed a good time. That’s just what I got with ‘Anno Frankenstein’, a book that I should have got round to sooner but was polished off in record time anyway...

If you haven’t read any of the preceding ‘Pax Britannia’ novels then this really is the wrong place to get started. Not only is there a lot of back story that you’re missing out on but you’re also missing out on six books worth of devious villains, dashing heroes, well drawn steam punk weirdness and stuff getting blown up. You can’t fail to enjoy this stuff so go find yourself a copy of ‘Unnatural History’ and get going...

Green sets the stakes incredibly high and then has his hero go about his job in the best possible way, all wise cracks and flirting but with a propensity for violence when it’s needed. These are the moments where you look at what’s happening on the page and think to yourself that it wouldn’t be out of place on the big screen, I’d love to see it...

Set pieces flow into cliff hangers which result in more set pieces. It all happens so quickly that this approach doesn’t feel repetitive in the slightest, there’s no time for anything else but being swamped by everything that’s happening on the page...


And the final score? 9 out of 10!

You can read Graeme's review in its entirety here.

The only trouble with reading great reviews like this is that I then worry whether I'll be able to live up to readers' expectations with the next novel in the series which, in this case, is the forthcoming Time's Arrow.

But for now I'm just going to enjoy basking in the warm glow of another radiant review just a little longer...

No comments: