Tuesday 11 May 2010

Where Pax Britannia leads...

Now, I don't claim to have invented the steampunk genre and I fully appreciate that other writers will be inspired by the same things as me but it's interesting, nonetheless...

I was told the other night that squid are going to be the next big thing, what with China Mieville's Kraken just out. I was then asked whether giant squid had appeared in the Pax Britannia books yet, and the answer was of course 'Yes!' in Leviathan Rising, published more than two years ago in March 2008.

It's just another example of where Pax Britannia leads, others follow.

In February 2007, the very first Pax Britannia novel Unnatural History was published. Last year it was voted 16th most popular book of the year over at SFcrowsnest. Then, eighteen months later, George Mann's Affinity Bridge was published, featuring a very similar setting and plot to that of Unnatural History. And then in January of this year we got Lavie Tidhar's The Bookman, the first in a steampunk series from Angry Robot Books.

Like I say, where Pax Britannia leads...

1 comment:

Iron Mammoth said...

I have read The Bookman and I must say it is a rollicking good read, however I must say that I prefered Unnatural History.

I have a copy of Affinity Bridge, but haven't found the time to read it yet, if it compares well with UH, then I must bump it up my reading list!